Volunteering is one of the easiest, and most fun ways you can help support the trails! We participate in a wide variety of events every year, ranging from setting up informational booths at different fairs and expos, to parking bikes at many of Fort Wayne's annual summer festivals. This year, we're striving to make volunteering easier and more rewarding for you.
If you have not already, please fill out our volunteer application. You'll be added to our volunteer list, and we'll send you email information about upcoming volunteer opportunities.
Volunteer Opportunities with Fort Wayne Trails
1. Trail Ambassadors:
We're looking for volunteers in neighborhoods around our community to become Trail Ambassadors with their neighbors. Trail Ambassadors will help hand out maps, answer easy questions, and represent the trail system to your friends and neighbors. It will take only a few hours each month, and your efforts will help us develop a more connected trail system. Our Trail Blazer Program and Trail Ambassador program is sponsored by Reecer Properties. Our pilot-program begins on November 22, as we work with several neighborhoods to share information about Fort Wayne Trails with neighbors.
We are also looking for volunteers to help our Trail Ambassadors distribute the doorhangers. Even if you don't live in one of our pilot-program neighborhoods, you can still help out.
So, here’s what we’re asking our Trail Ambassadors to do:
1. Be our friendly, neighborhood representatives.
2. Help us distribute Fort Wayne Trails door-hangers to your neighbors between November 22 and December 15th. We're going to customize these door-hangers with your contact information, so your neighbors know they can contact you, and get trail maps, and you can share our contact information if they have questions or concerns.
3. Keep a supply of door-hangers on hand, to share with new neighbors as they move into your addition, along with trail maps.
4. For right now, we’ll drop off a supply of the door hangers to you, so that you (and perhaps a family member or friend) can distribute them to your neighbors.
On January 11, we’ll have a short training session at 10am and 7pm. If you can make it to one of the meetings, we’ll have additional materials and information for you. If you can’t make it, we’ll come to you when it’s convenient.
5. Help us get Trail information into your association newsletter on an occasional basis.
6. Suggest FWT as a speaker at a neighborhood event, so we can meet your neighbors and let them know more about our system.
Sign up to be a Trail Ambassador or to help with the door-hanger activity here.
2. Volunteer for FWT Events
We put on a number of events every year, ranging from celebratory events to races. Our races require the largest number of volunteers, and truly depend on willing volunteers in order for them to be a success. These are also some of the most fun events to volunteer for! Our fundraising races will be held later this summer.
3. Volunteer for Health Fairs, Information Booth Assistance, Office tasks, and other Indoor Engagement activities.
We participate in a number of fairs and expos every year that are typically related to health, wellness, or the environment. The most common thing we do is run information booths, providing attendees with information and answering their questions about the trails. At the office, we sometimes have special mailing projects. You can sign up for any of these events on this page.
4. Volunteer On the Trails.
We plan to be out on the trails this year, and would love assistance with meeting trail users, placing signs near the trails about events and activities, and some clean-up projects at trail heads. If you want to help out and are able and willing to lift up to 25lbs, sweat a little, and do something physically active, we'll have opportunities for you. Check back here for events as we schedule them.